Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Meditation helps us stay focused!

Normally, after the lunch play bell goes, children come inside to have a rest. They lie down and rest their body. But today, I thought I would try something different.

Last week, children saw a photo of a child meditating. When they saw it, they naturally imitated, sitting down with eyes closed and their hands on their knees. They really enjoyed this, and we talked a little about meditation.

Today, as they came back into the class, we sat in a circle. I played a relaxing and calming piece of music. I talked about what  we were going to do.  then one of our children said "Meditation!" so some of them knew what we were going to do!










As the music was playing in the background, children were silent. I talked about being quiet inside us, and calming down. We talked about how important to see us positively using words like "I can!", "I keep trying.", "I am going  give it a go!" 
I gave an example of a situation I saw today during swimming where one of the children said "I can do it!" and how wonderful it was to hear it because this person was trying so hard and working hard.

Positive self-talk is important to build resilience and develop strategies when children are faced with challenges or difficulties. I love the way everyone tried to meditate and gave this new activity a go!
When we finished the meditation, one boy said "Can we do the meditation again tomorrow?"

After this meditation activity, we moved on to the writing session. The focus that children showed during this session was just fantastic!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome back to school! Term 3 has started!

 Welcome back to Term 3. We have had a fantastic week, settling back to our class routines, enjoying each other’s company and our children h...